A ballotine is traditionally made out of poultry meat with a different kind of stuffing. In this recipe, we are going to make a cheesy bell pepper and onion stuffing. The creamy bacon and sweet potato coating make that meal rich enough, so you don`t need to worry about a garnish. Hope you`ll enjoy! <3
Giant Chicken Ballotine
Marinated chicken thigh ballotine, wrapped in bacon, with a creamy bacon and sweet potato coating.
- 5 Chicken thigh fillets
- 10 Bacon Rashers
- 4 slices Emmental
- 2 onions
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 1 Green bell pepper
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 Black pepper
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 4 Small sweet potatoes (or 3 large)
- 2 Bacon Rashers
- 20 g Butter
- 50 ml Cream
For the stuffing:
For the marinade:
For the coating:
- Marinate the chicken:
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the chicken fillets, followed by all the marinade ingredients. Mix well, and leave it in the fridge for 10-15 minutes. (Tenderize the meat with a wooden hammer before you marinade it. This will make the slices evenly thin, that will help to assemble it later.)
- Chop the peppers and the onion into tiny cubes.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil.
- Add the chopped onion and peppers, followed by the soy sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Stir-fry for about 5-10 minutes.
- Take the chicken out of the fridge.
- Place a cling film underneath, then line up the chicken slices, slightly overlapping each other.
- Cover with the Emmental slices.
- Spread 3/4 of the stuffing over the cheese.
- Carefully wrap up the ballotine in the cling film. Make sure you make it tight enough to keep the shape.
- Chill in the fridge for 10-15 minutes (or more).
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes, then soft-boil them in salty water.
- Finely chop the bacon rashers, then fry them for approximately 2 minutes, at high heat.
- When the potatoes are ready, mash them.
- Add the fried bacon, followed by the cream, butter, and the remaining 1/4 of the stuffing.
- Mix well and leave to cool down.
Some tips from me:
– It`s always better to leave the meat in the marinade as long as possible. For richest flavor, leave it overnight.
– I prefer the ballotine in a “ball” shape. Like this, you get less but larger slices. However, you could make it in a long and thin “sausage” shape, to get more, but smaller slices. This option is great for a large group of people, served as canapes.
I hope you enjoyed. Stay tuned, we are coming back with more tasty recipes. 🙂 <3
Very best wishes,