I can resist everything, except temptation.
Vol-au-Vent is a small puff pastry case, usually served as an appetizer or a main course, filled with different savory fillings. Lately, though, we can find it more and more often served as a dessert. Our Vol-au-Vents are lovely festive treats to share with family and friends. Puff pastry cases, sprinkled with roasted almonds, cinnamon, and sugar, filled with homemade spiced plum jam. Delightful! We hope you`ll love them! <3
Mulled Plum & Almond Vol-au-Vent
Crispy cinnamon & sugar glazed Vol-au-Vents, with homemade spiced plum & almond jam.
- 2 Puff pastry sheets
- 10 Plums
- 50 g Raw almonds
- 4 tbsp Caster sugar
- 100 ml Pure honey
- 2 tbsp Ground cinnamon (divided)
- 50 ml Red wine
- 1 tsp Coconut oil ( I use spray)
1. Grind the almonds, then mix them with the cinnamon and caster sugar.
2. Prepare the Vol-au-Vents:
- Open the puff pastry sheets. Make sure they are at room temperature.
- Cut out 16 circles with diameter 6 cm.
- Place 8 of the circles on a baking tray, lined with baking paper.
- Cut off the centers of the other 8 circles, using a 3-4 cm round or squared pastry cutter.
- Place the little circles/ squares next to the large ones on the tray. We are going to use them as lids.
- Join the holed circles with the whole ones in the tray. Press gently to make sure they are stick together.
- Sprinkle with half of the almond-cinnamon-sugar mix.
- Bake for 15 minutes, at 200°C.
- Let them cool before filling.
3. Prepare the mulled plum & almond jam:
- Chop the plums into small cubes.
- In a large saucepan, heat the coconut oil, then add the honey, followed by the chopped plums.
- Simmer until the plums are nicely glazed by the honey.
- Add the rest of the almond-cinnamon-sugar mix.
- Cook until the sugar gets lightly caramelized.
- Pour the red wine over the plums.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes, while stirring regularly.
4. Fill the Vol-au-Vents:
- Fill each Vol-au-Vent with jam.
- Garnish with Almond Flakes.
- Decorate with the pastry lids.
- Serve with a pot of whipped cream.
Some tips from us:
– You can enjoy the mulled cinnamon & almond jam with pancakes, fluffy scones, even in your morning cereal pot. Once cooked, place into a jar, and store in the fridge for up to two weeks.
– You can improvise with the vol-au-vent shape. And even if you don`t have any pastry cutters at home, you can simply use a knife, and make triangles, squares, or rectangles. 🙂
We hope you enjoyed! Stay updated, more festive treats on the way! 🙂 <3
Very best wishes,