It`s time for healthy breakfast!
This is a story of my childhood, where I really love to go back sometimes. Remember how my Grandma was doing the best poached eggs ever! The special Grandma`s recipe, however, wasn`t really healthy. She was frying the paprika and pour over the eggs and yogurt. Years later, when I tried the classic Eggs, Benedict, I said: “Wow! This taste amazing!”. Still unhealthy though – Hollandaise, lots of butter… So what I did? I twisted those two recipes, transforming them into the healthiest meal ever! I picked the ingredients I mostly liked from both recipes and twisted them into my own healthy, veggie Benedicts that I really love! I hope you`ll love them too! <3
Twisted Veggie Benedicts
Internationally twisted Eggs Benedict recipe, 100% vegetarian and very healthy.
- 4 Eggs
- 2 Slices of rye bread
- 400 g Low fat yogurt (I use Lactose-free)
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 1 Avocado
- First, let`s make the sauce. It`s easy peasy! Simply mix the yogurt with the paprika, salt and a bit of ground black pepper. Much healthier than Grandma`s recipe, isn`t it?! 🙂
- Prepare the plates: Cut the rye bread slices in half, then place them onto the plates. Divide the avocado, then slice a half in each plate.
- In a small pot mix 500 ml of water with the vinegar. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer.
- Using an egg beater, make a small whirlpool in the water. Then start adding the eggs one by one in the center of the whirlpool. It`s very important not to stir at all! Don`t worry, your eggs will become in perfect shape. It took me a long time and many many unsuccessful attempts until I find the perfect formula for poaching the eggs. I hope will work out for you too.
- Don`t overcook the eggs! 2 to 3 minutes are more than enough unless you like them well done. In this case, keep them for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Take the eggs out and place one on each bread slice.
- Top up each egg with 1/4 of the sauce.
- Garnish with rocket leaves and baby plums. (optional)
I hope you liked it!
Would love to hear your opinion in the comments below.